This post was inspired by a Facebook comment related to the video above.
I love Shiva Rea. I love her style of yoga movement (vinyasa). I practice it. It is one part of my eight-limbed path.
And I like Prana’s clothing.
What I don’t like is that folks may look at the video above and think “I could never do that” or “She’s so beautiful, I could never look like that.”
And then decide not to experience something that may be life changing.
And none of this would be Ms Rea’s fault.
So here are some things to remember when you watch this vid:
1. It’s a commercial for a clothing company. This means that there was a production crew on hand.
2. Which means they probably shot hours of video.
3. Which means you’re looking at the shots that made the final cut.
4. And were edited within an inch of their lives.
5. Which means the ones that didn’t make it probably showed folks with improper alignment, falling over or picking their nose.
5.5 Like in a real yoga class.
6. Lighting works wonders.
7. And I’ll bet Ms Rea doesn’t look like when she’s just rolled out of bed. Or when she’s paying bills. Or when she’s grocery shopping.
8. She’s probably just like us: human and mortal.
9. And according to an interview with LA Yoga, Ms Rea started doing yoga when she was 16. She’s probably around my age. This means that she’s been moving like that for about 24 years. I ain’t gon move like her.
10. And you ain’t either.:-)
11. And there’s nothing wrong with that.
12. That look at 1:16? “I just farted and damn it felt good.”
12.5. Speaking from experience.
13. Okay. Number 12 was a joke.
Take the video above for what it is: A beautiful video of a professional shot by professionals.
Then take your butt to yoga.
If that’s what you want to do.